Homeowners in Frederick, Maryland have a love – hate relationship with residential painting. Most homeowners hate painting. It’s tedious and no matter how hard you try, there are always streaks. Still, most homeowners love the idea of a freshly painted room. So, you grit your teeth, roll up your sleeves, and start planning. The problem: you don’t know where to start.
Over the next several weeks, we are going to offer a little insight to help make your next residential painting project go a little smoother.
Week 1: Choosing the Right Paint
A fresh coat of paint can work wonders. It is the most inexpensive way to “remodel” a room, and the return on your investment is pretty substantial – as high as 148%. And it all starts with choosing the right paint. The type of paint you use depends on the room’s purpose.
Latex or Oil Based Paint
Interior house paint is either latex or oil based.
- Latex: Latex paint provides a long-lasting finish with superior gloss retention. They are easy to work with and dry quickly. Latex paints are also very durable.
- Oil: Today, most oil-based paints are made with synthetic resins, known as alkyds. These paints provide good adhesion, excellent durability, and superior stain resistance. Oil-based paints are an excellent choice for high-traffic areas, such as kitchens and bathrooms.
Picking a Finish Before You Start
Both latex- and oil-based paints come in a wide variety of finishes:
- Flat: This is a non-reflective finish that helps hide surface blemishes. Flat finishes are ideal for adult bedrooms, dining rooms, living rooms, and ceilings.
- Satin: This is a slight gloss that offers a richer look than flat finishes. Satin finishes are ideal for halls, woodwork, children’s bedrooms and family rooms.
- Semi-Gloss: This is one is pretty self-explanatory and provides a durable finish perfect for kitchens, bathrooms, utility areas, closet doors, and trim.
- Gloss: If semi-gloss is semi-glossy, guess what gloss is? If you guessed glossy, you win! Gloss finishes are ideal for wood trim, cabinets, doors, and furniture.
Remember, home improvement is an investment in your property and your life. Sometimes it is just better to trust a job like this to the professionals. So trust the job to a family owned company that values professionalism, honesty, and hard work – Albaugh & Sons.
A Frederick Residential Painting Contractor
Albaugh & Sons is a family business that takes pride in the services we provide for our customers. We are based in Frederick, Maryland and service all of Frederick County and parts of Washington and Carroll counties. Our specialties include installing fences, decks, painting, remodeling and skid loading.
The estimate you receive for your project is not only competitive; it is extremely accurate.
If you are looking for a Residential Painting Contractor in Frederick, you’ve come to the right place! Please contact Albaugh & Sons at 301-964-9379. The Albaugh and Son’s team is made up of experienced, personable employees who pride themselves on being professional and dedicated to completing every job the right way.